Myanmar’s UK ambassador ‘locked out’ of London embassy after talking out towards coup | Global Information

Myanmar’s UK ambassador has been locked out of the country’s London embassy after calling for the release of detained leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Kyaw Zwar Minn told Reuters news agency “I have been locked out”, having spoken out against the military coup that has led to the deaths of around 600 protesters.

His deputy, Chit Win, has barred him and taken charge of the building with the help of the military attaché, diplomatic sources told Reuters.

“It’s a kind of coup, in the middle of London… you can see that they occupy my building,” said the ambassador, adding that he was talking to the UK Foreign Office about the development.

Last month, he had called for the release of Ms Suu Kyi and ousted President Win Myint.

Metropolitan Police said on Wednesday evening that there was a protest outside the embassy and that public order officers were on the scene. No arrests have been made.

Mr Zwar Minn spoke to protesters gathered at the Mayfair building and insisted: “This is my building, I need to go inside. That’s why I’m waiting here.”

Myanmar Youth flashes three-fingered salute during a Mask strike in Yangon
Protests have been going on since the coup in February and have turned increasingly bloody
A demonstrator gestures near a barricade
A protester behind a barricade in Mandalay last month – about 600 have now died

At least more 15 protesters are reported to have been shot dead by security forces in Myanmar on Wednesday, according to activists and media in the country.

Dozens are also said to have been wounded.

The Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) said grenades and machine guns had been used on protesters in the northwestern town of Kale, accounting for at least eight of the deaths.

Houses and community clinics were also raided, said the group.

A Chinese-owned factory was also set alight in Yangon
A Chinese-owned factory was also set alight in Yangon

The Myanmar Now news outlet said the death toll in the town was at least 11, and at least 20 nationwide.

In other unrest, a Chinese-owned factory was set on fire in the country’s biggest city, Yangon, where there were also a series of small blasts.

Residents said government buildings, a military hospital and a shopping centre were targeted. No casualties were reported.

The US embassy in the city said it had received reports of “handmade ‘sound bombs,’ or fireworks meant to create noise and cause minimal damage”.

The army ousted Myanmar’s elected government on 1 February, claiming there had been voter fraud in last year’s election – something the independent election commission disputes.

As of Wednesday, some 598 people have now been killed during protests over the power grab, according to the AAPP.

Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, leader of the coup, has said the pro-democracy demonstrators are trying to “destroy” the country.

Aung San Suu Kyi and top figures in her National League for Democracy party, which won a landslide in the election, are still being detained.

Read More: | For More World News | Visit Our Facebook & Twitter @kbcchanneltv | Making The Invisible, Visible

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: