A scuba diver has died following a shark attack off the coast of Queensland in Australia, emergency services have said.
The 20-year-old man was injured in the seas near popular tourist hotspot Fraser Island at about 2pm local time (5am in the UK) on Saturday.
It is not known what species of shark the man was attacked by, but he had been bitten around his legs, authorities said.
Paramedics provided emergency treatment after arriving by helicopter, but were unable to save him and he died at the scene, the Queensland Ambulance Service said.
Fraser Coast mayor George Seymour said the man’s death was a sad day for the community, according to an ABC News report.
“Our deepest condolences go to this young man’s family and friends,” he said.
“The loss of a young life with his future before him is a tragedy beyond words. We share their sadness and grief.”
The attack happened near Indian Heads, near to the site of another fatal shark attack in April, when Queensland wildlife ranger Zachary Robba, 23, was bitten by a great white.
At least four people have died in shark attacks in Australia this year.
In January, a 57-year-old diver was killed off Western Australia state, while a 60-year-old surfer was killed off Kingscliff in New South Wales state in June.
In the New South Wales attack, two men fought off the shark before taking the man on to the beach, where he was given first aid.
However, despite their efforts the man died at the scene, police said.
Read More: https://www.kbcchannel.tv | For More World News | Visit Our Facebook & Twitter @kbcchanneltv | Making The Invisible, Visible