The family of the murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have forgiven the people who killed him, his son has written in a tweet.
Mr Khashoggi was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October 2018, where he had gone to obtain documents for his impending wedding.
His body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building, and his remains have never been found.
In the tweet posted on Friday, his son Salah Khashoggi said: “In this blessed night of the blessed month (of Ramadan) we remember God’s saying: If a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah.
“Therefore, we the sons of the Martyr Jamal Khashoggi announce that we pardon those who killed our father, seeking reward God almighty.”
Mr Khashoggi’s murder caused global outrage, with many asking questions of Saudi’s Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Saudi officials say he had no role in the killing, though in September 2019 the royal indicated some personal accountability, saying “it happened under my watch”.
Saudi Arabia sentenced five people to death and three to jail over the murder of Mr Khashoggi last December. The suspects were put on trial in secretive proceedings in the capital Riyadh.
The trials were condemned by the United Nations and rights groups. UN special rapporteur for extrajudicial summary or arbitrary executions, Agnes Callamard, accused Saudi Arabia of making a “mockery” of justice by allowing the masterminds of the 2018 killing to go free.
However, Salah Khashoggi said the verdict was “fair” and that “justice” had been achieved.
Read More: https://www.kbcchannel.tv | For More World News | Visit Our Facebook & Twitter @kbcchanneltv | Making The Invisible, Visible